17 October 2011

4. What I Value & Why

Growing up in a Christian home and being very involved in my church had a huge influence in my set of values.  These values I have had most of my life and still do.  I value first of all my relationship with God.  My church believes in having a person relationship with God, and because I've been in an environment that values that, I do, too.  My relationship with God is the thing I value most in my life, and that will never change.  Another value I have is modesty.  My parents value modesty and have taught me about why I should be modest.  Also, the environments I've been in and the friends I've been associated with have also valued modesty for the most part, so it has been easy to keep that as a value in my own life.  All of my experiences in my household and my family as well as my church and my friends there have most influenced the values I continue to obtain in my life.  I am so thankful that I have grown up seeing certain values in order that I might have them impressed upon my life.

Bennis's belief about self knowledge has to do with knowing one's strengths and weaknesses and using that knowledge to work within your strengths.  By identifying your strengths and weaknesses, you can build up your strengths to the point where your weaknesses are irrelevant.  Or, you can build up your weaknesses and turn them into strengths.  Either way, being away of both of these helps a person to acquire a self-knowledge that will prepare them for success in various situations.  In my own life, I have definitely had to come to terms with the fact that I am not going to be good at everything I do, which is very hard for me.  I'm an achiever, according to the strength's finder test, and to most people who know me, so it is very humbling to realize I really cannot be good at everything.  I need to accept my weaknesses and either be okay with it or try to work with them how they are and hopefully grow in that area.  This has also helped me to grow in the areas I am naturally good at and build up those strengths so that I can actually use them for what God intended.

I've been my own best teacher by just learning from the experiences of my life, whether they were successes or mistakes.  I have learned to accept responsibility when I am wrong or when I am lacking in something. For instance, as a leader this year, I have had to realize the areas in which I am lacking in, and fix those things.  Because by not being up to pace, it not only hurts me, but the people around me.  With learning, I have learned a lot through reflection lately.  Sometimes I will be telling someone about something that happened and suddenly it will click.  God has been tying together all these different experiences in my life and showing me how he is using them to teach me and to stretch me.  It takes me a while to get it sometimes, but when I do, it's so obvious the lessons that God is working on me with.  Lately, God has even been using past experiences and past journal entries to teach me things now.  God is not limited to our time, and for that I am so thankful! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment