04 September 2009

Worship.

There are many different ways to worship, and everyone has their own way that they like. Different churches, different religions, and different people all have their own way of doing things. For instance, in my church, worship is a little more upbeat than some. We have a worship team/band with guitars, keyboard, and sometimes other instruments. When people worship in my church they usually stand and clap to the beat and raise their arms as an act of surrender to God. There may be a few jumping and shouting, but this is the norm. I love worshipping this way. Jesus is exciting and sometimes I just want to jump and shout His praises! But there are other churches that may just sit quietly with their heads bowed in reverence to the Lord, praying softly with their eyes closed and hands folded.

I recently attended a church service that had worship that was the complete opposite of what I am used to. There was one woman up front playing a guitar and singing into a microphone very simple songs while everyone just sat with heads bowed as they sang along. My first thoughts were negative. I thought to myself that this isn't how I worship. This isn't how I like to worship. I am used to my way. My way is comfortable to me...WAIT! Comfortable?  It hit me and hit me hard. Worship cannot just be a routine I'm comfortable with! I was denying my Lord the praise He deserves simply because I didn't normally worship that way. How silly and selfish and blind I am! Worship isn't about being comfortable, it's about stepping out and declaring that you love God! There isn't just one way to worship, and there is no right way to worship. Just worship! I believe that sticking to just one way of worship can give way to becoming comfortable in it, which can also lead to worship becoming a routine to us. Each and every time we worship should be a new and beautiful encounter with our Lord! We should go into each time of worship as if it were our first...and our last. I believe it is important also to change it up. Step out of your comfort zone and worship in a different way. It doesn't matter if everyone else is doing it, it doesn't matter if you don't know how. The only thing that matters is that your entire mind and body are flowing with love for our Savior! Sit down. Stand up. Walk around. Dance. All these are ways to worship. So I encourage everyone, the next time you worship try a different way than you are used to and see what happens!

2 comments:

  1. Ashley! I love this...it really makes you think. I think that it is so true, we get into routine worship and sometimes lose focus. At youth group one night, we did arts and crafts to worship God. It was so neat. I think that there is so many ways to show glory to God.

    ReplyDelete