25 October 2011

6. Communication

a. Communication is the glue that holds relationships together and keeps them functioning successfully, whether it's a friendship or a leadership.  There are three basic types of communication: unassertive, assertive, and aggressive.  Unassertive is letting people, in a sense, walk all over you, with the mindset that what you have to say isn't good enough, so you just keep quiet.  Being assertive in your communication is saying only what is needed to get your point across.  Aggressive communication is valuing what you have to say over what everyone else has to say.  I would put myself between unassertive and assertive.  I definitely don't think I push my thoughts and ideas on others and at times I am healthily assertive in what I have to say, but sometimes I leave a conversation wishing I had said more of what I really thought.  I need to find a healthy balance in this area of my life.
On the Listening Self-Evaluation I took, which assessed my listening skills, I scored a 69.  The average score is 61.  I think I am a pretty good listener, which probably stems from some of my top strengths: developer, restorative, and empathy.  I am a very empathetic and compassionate person, which is why I'm in the Social Work field.  I enjoy listening to people's struggles and triumphs in order to help and encourage them.  Some things I do need to work on is finding a healthy balance between giving my own input and advice and just simply taking the time to listen to someone talk.  At times I may need to just listen and not talk, but there are also times when advice or guidance is helpful.

b. I have encountered some minor ethical dilemmas in my life.  When I have heard of some people breaking little rules or school policies I face a dilemma.  Should I say something to them about it, even though it doesn't seem like a big deal?  Or should I just let it slide because it could be much worse, and this way I won't seem overbearing or judgmental.  In these cases sometimes I have to go off of rule-based thinking--following a principle that everyone should follow.  It's based on a duty of following and encouraging others to follow the rules.  Not that I necessarily think that they are harming anyone, although they could be indirectly, but breaking rules is disrespectful and could lead to breaking more and bigger rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment