01 January 2011

Thankfulness:Snow!

Days 4 & 5: Snow December 30-31
So, thinking back on my week, these two days were so filled with joy because of the beautiful gift of winter precipitation, that I just had to put them together!


I am someone who absolutely loves winter, especially snow!  I don't mind the cold so much, as long as there's plenty of beautiful, fluffy, and occasionally sticky, snow.  The most glorious outdoor scene occurs when crystal-like, one-of-a kind snowflakes flitter down against a clear blue sky to rest on the branches of trees and the end of your nose.  Snow is clearly a gift from God to give us something to look forward to in Minnesota, and there's plenty to go around! :)  


Snow forts, snowball fights, snow angels, snowshoeing, snowmen, sledding, tubing, king of the hill, snowmobiling.  Snow brings many different ways to have fun and get together. On Wednesday my friend Rachel and I went snowshoeing in her woods.  Let me tell you, it was quite an adventure: the two of us trudging through the snow with our flashlights, leaving behind distinct tracks that we decided looked like fish.  It was frightening, in a thrilling sort of way, being in the dark woods with only the pale light of our flashlights guiding our path discussing what we would do if we were to be stranded out there.  Afterwards we were able to come back to a warm house and drink hot cocoa and work on a puzzle while the chilly winds continued to blow right outside.  These are the things about winter that I love.


Friday I was also very thankful for the snow, and I could also say extremely thankful for family and friends.  Rachel and I, along with two other families, had a fun-filled day snow tubing!  This was my first official snow tubing experience, and I don't think I've ever had that much fun. The group of people we went with were amazing: so much energy, adventure, and love.  We were able to tube for two hours.  We started out on the--don't let the name fool you--Bunny Hill; this hill was pretty terrifying despite its title.  After we got comfortable with this beginner hill we moved on to the two big hills made for more experienced tubers, which we definitely considered ourselves to be after the first ten minutes.  These hills were, without exaggeration, pretty much a straight drop to our deaths!  I was scared out of my mind to go down it, but I figured, my friend's four-year-old little brother Johnny could do it, so I could too, right?  And I did!  It was so scary, yet exciting!  We went down all sorts of different ways, frontwards, backwards, two at a time, five and even six at a time.  By the end of the two hours, we were all thoroughly satisfied with our trip.  We then went to a house of one of the families for hot cocoa, pizza, and other delicious goodies.  The fellowship between friends and families was so precious, and I am very thankful to be able to have times like these.







So, yes...winter is cold.  Snow is annoying at times.  But if you really take time to think about it, it has the ability to bring people together. :)


Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment