03 January 2011

Thankfulness:Newness

Day 6: Newness
As the new year begins and everyone starts thinking about how they want their lives to change during the new year, I think about the newness of life that I have in Jesus.  I am reminded that I not only am able to start fresh each new year, but also each new day.  God's mercies are new every morning!  Isn't that something to be thankful for?!  


Everyone makes mistakes and there's always something that people want changed in their lives, but along with these constants, there is also the hope that God gives.  When we surrender our lives fully to Him, we become His children enveloped with unconditional love.  There is nothing we can do that will make Him stop loving us, as long as we do our bests to live a life pleasing to Him and surrender every part of ourselves.  When we fall, He is there to pick us back up.  He will set our feet on solid ground once again, no matter how many times we've already fallen.  It may seem like our lives are a constant attempt to not mess up, but the good thing is that God is merciful.  He knows that we are not perfect.  He knows the very inner parts of our heart and whether we desire to do our best.  He is full of love and forgiveness.  


Sometimes we become so beaten down by our past and our mistakes that we are unable to see God's gift of mercy.  When we are fixated on our mistakes and are not willing to let go and forget, it is hard for us to move forward.  In order to grow and better ourselves, we must forget the past and look to the future.  We must reach out and grasp the mercy God is giving us.  It is a free gift; we just need to accept it.  Feeling sorry for ourselves or being too hard on ourselves doesn't solve anything.  We need to accept the fact that we make mistakes and realize that no matter what happens or what we've done, God will cast our sins as far as the east is from the west--that's never ending.  Now isn't that a great thought?!


I am so very thankful that although I am weak, He is strong.  God is the one thing in my life that is always constant, even when I feel like my life is a constant battle to stop making mistakes.  I will close with one of my favorite quotes from one of my favorite books/movies:


Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it. -- Anne of Green Gables


Some verses to reflect on:


But in your great mercy you did not put an end to them or abandon them, for you are a gracious and merciful God. -- Nehemiah 9:31


Praise be to the LORD, for he has heard my cry for mercy. -- Psalm 28:6


Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it.  But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead. -- Philippians 3:13


As far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us. -- Psalm 103:12


So this new year, wake up each morning knowing His mercy has set us free from the bondage of sin. Because of this we can live each new day better than the last!


Ashley

2 comments:

  1. Ashley, this is the first blog of yours that I have read... you are a great writer! I found this blog to be really encouraging. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete