06 January 2011

Thankfulness:Strength

Day 8: Strength
Some days I just feel like I do not have the strength to handle everything.  Sometimes the trials and hurts that I'm encountering seem too big for me to handle.  The thing is, is that they are too big for me to handle. Ugh...doesn't that just sound so depressing? Well, think again--it isn't! These hard times in our lives can certainly be too big for us, but they are NEVER too big for God!


It's such a great feeling to know that we don't have to be strong all the time...that even in our imperfections and weakness, God is strong! I am so glad that I don't have to deal with everything on my own, and that, of everyone and everything I could choose to depend on, I choose to depend on the King of Kings, the Lord of Lords, the Most High!  I'd say that's security! :)  God is so powerful, nothing and no one is a match to His greatness.  


So why do we try so hard to handle everything on our own?  I know I do.  We work so hard to be perfect people who can take care of ourselves.  We don't need anyone to help us.  We try to put on a mask that tells everyone around us that we don't struggle with anything. But what do we gain from this?  It means so much to talk with our peers about the things we're going through.  That's what the body of Christ is for, to carry each others' burdens and lift each other up.  We need that!  And we're holding back a true friendship when we choose to keep our struggles to ourselves.  Also, if we are open with others, it will make it easier for them to be open to us.  A true friendship is built when both people are transparent with each other and are willing to let go of their pride.  It really is a pride thing when we refuse to open up to our friends.  We're not perfect people, but God is.  His strength compensates for our weaknesses, and we need to give Him that.  We need to be willing to surrender our pride and show our weaknesses in order to recognize God as lord of our lives and give Him the glory.


To get this strength from God, however, I have to be right with God.  I have to fully surrender to God.  Yep, fully.  I need to be living for God.  I need to give up my weaknesses and to accept the strength He is reaching out to me.  I know that when I am living in right relationship with God, that no matter what comes my way, God is holding me up.  When we are walking in step with Christ, we don't have to change anything when tough times come up, because we are already prepared to fight.  


So, I am not thankful for the strength in and of myself, because that is not where it comes from.  I am thankful for the strength that God gives me--the only way I receive the strength to get me through everything and anything.  I am thankful that when I am weak, He is strong.  So when trials come my way, I do not have to be afraid, because what I have in me is not the only thing I have to depend on.  I can always depend on the power of God to strengthen me, and with Him I can do all things!


Some verses:


The Lord is my strength and my defense; he has become my salvation.  He is my God, and I will praise Him, my father's God, and I will exalt him. -- Exodus 15:2


In your unfailing love you will lead the people you have redeemed.  In your strength you will guide them to your holy dwelling.  -- Exodus 15:13


My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. -- 2 Corinthians 12:9


But David found strength in the Lord his God. -- 1 Samuel 30:6b


Look to the Lord and His strength; seek the Lord always. -- 1 Chronicles 16:11


Be strong and courageous!  Don't be afraid or discouraged because of the king of Assyria or his mighty army, for there is a power far greater on our side!  He may have a great army, but they are merely men.  We have the Lord our God to help us fight our battles for us! -- 2 Chronicles 35:7-8


So, if ever you feel burdened and weak, remember that God doesn't expect us to handle things on our own; He expects us to allow Him to handle them with us!



No comments:

Post a Comment